The “some of my favorite people” contest
The rules: Email me the names of as many of my favorite people as you can. The prize goes to whoever can name the most. If several contestants name them all, I will give the prize to whoever sends their list in to me first. If no one guesses them all correctly, I will give it to whoever can name the most. If there’s a tie (for instance, two contestants name 8 of the 12), I’ll give it to whoever emails me first. The deadline is Thur. Feb. 17th, 8:00 a.m. ET and my email is email@example.com. No crafty techno cheating!
Winner gets my copy of the recently released, The Money-less Man by Mark Boyle–who lived without money for a whole year in England.
1. Nature-lover and animal-killer, this guy filled the role of an important man who was shot in my home-city.
2. One of the first to summit all the big hills in the Adirondacks, he sought wilder terrain in Alaska’s far north.
3. Amazing writer and adventurer who Ernest Hemingway lavished with praise before calling her a not-so-pleasant “bitch.”
4. This guy once dug up his first wife’s corpse just to have a looksy. Apparently this was acceptable behavior in the 1830’s.
5. An Irishman who favored desert snow over his homeland’s verdant green.
6. Spent her honeymoon on the Koyukuk River.
7. On his excursions into the wild, he’d wear a suit and tie, and always leave his gun behind.
8. Three of this conservationist’s children were welcomed into the National Academy of Sciences.
9. Once lived under the shadow of one of the great peaks of the Adirondacks, he is better known for some of his more cutthroat exploits in states to the south.
10. Drunkard, boxer, and seaman, and one helluva writer.
11. This guy shares his first name with a well-known deity.
12. Virginian-born outdoorsman whose tragic death is the subject of controversy.